Sunday, February 16, 2014

The mad hatter... under the weather...

Winter, winter, winter!  Wow, it's been nothing but winter.  Luckily that family has remained fairly healthy until this past week when my son and I got the sniffles.  Sniffles make you tired and hence, I haven't been very productive in the craft room!

A short while back I got a vintage simplicity pattern off of eBay.  Although the outfit was vintagely "cute", I was more interested in the hat pattern that came with.  It's kind of a pillbox style and I hate to say it, but makes me think of a stewardess.

It went together rather quick and easy as there are two main pieces with just the accent.  I used a grey felt for the side and top and then I lined it with a stiff black lining material.  I also used interfacing of course.


The first view is a front/side view courtesy of my hand.  I should have actually made it a little bigger as the inner circumference is only 21 3/4.  I'm glad I didn't use anything too expensive as I will probably not keep this version.  When I tried it on, it was a little too snug but it looked great on my son!  As it is simple, I may make another and modify the pattern slightly.  However, I'm not for sure a pillbox style looks too good on me!

The pattern also called for a fashion buckle rather than the button I used.  I didn't want to sacrifice one of my vintage buckles if I didn't keep the hat, so I used a vintage looking new button that was hanging out in the stash begging to be used.

Below you can see the lining.  Overall, I'm pleased with that hat and how neat and crisp all the seams are.  Hubby kept telling me to add a brim... so maybe the next will have to have a brim.

No comments:

Post a Comment