Monday, January 30, 2012

Red Bellies at the feeder....


Yes this is a red bellied woodpecker.  One might want to say a red headed woodpecker, but that's a different little guy.  The log suet feeder is a favorite with my woodpecker crowd.  I usually buy plain suet, already processed in plain blocks.  I melt/soften about 3 of the blocks, throw in a scoop or two of peanut butter and a cup or so of corn meal.  Then for the goodies.  Rural King was selling shelled peanuts by the pound for birds earlier this fall, so my first batch had a cup or two of that.  Then I usually throw in a a few scoops of high quality -- you know, the expensive kind -- of wild bird seed.  I go more for sunflower and peanuts than millet and milo.  Sometimes I throw in some raisins or other dried fruit as well.  Buying the plain suet is cheaper than other suet blocks and when you throw in your own ingredients you get a great mix the birds love.  Beware of the bargain buys on suet blocks.  Usually it's just suet loaded with millet and some cracked corn.  They'll eat it, but not if my suet is available!

Some great  information on red bellied woodpeckers and more pictures.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-bellied_woodpecker/id/ac

No comments:

Post a Comment