Thursday, February 16, 2012

Snowdrops have appeared!

We went out to the cottage today.  It was a "balmy" 41 degrees but wet and a little breezy.  Many of my bulbs in my yard at home have been peeking for more than a month now, so I was shopping for signs of bulbs at the cottage.  The few daffodils I planted are showing here and there about 1/2", but I saw no signs of daffodils elsewhere.

Imagine my surprise when I found two separate little clumps of Galanthus in the front yard.  One clump was by the front drive, so you could assume maybe someone had a flower bed there at one time.  The other little clump was in the middle of the yard.  I probably should have done an unethical transplant right then as now I will probably not be able to find it again!

There are certain spring bulbs that I really enjoy simply because they poke their heads out and defy nature's cold.  Galanthus, or snowdrops is one of them.  When I was out at the cottage yesterday, I either simply didn't notice the mentioned clumps, or they blended in with the scattered bits of snow that was still hanging around.  The foliage is a distinctive spring green that looks fresh in comparison to the grass that still looks tired and winter worn.  And then there is the obvious.... If the Galanthus can dare to grow and bloom, then others.... the crocus, daffodils and grape hyacinths will surely follow!

Now if you are thoroughly excited about snowdrops, you may check out Snowdrops: A Monograph Of Cultivated Galanthus (by  Aaron Davis, M. Bishop, John Grimshaw).  Personally, I am happy knowing that to enjoy they need to be planted in the fall with other spring blooming bulbs.  They do great naturalized as well as many of the other small spring blooming bulbs, such as glory of the snow (chionodoxa) or grape hyacinth (muscari).  However, after looking up the hillside to the cottage today, I think that naturalizing some snowdrops in the woods would definitely be a great idea.  I will definitely be doing some online shopping next year for an affordable source of bulbs.  And just so you know, if you want these, you will probably have to mail order or hope that your local garden shop will stock them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment