Saturday, November 10, 2012

Moyer Gould Woods

HUGE oak tree!
On one of the routes we frequently travel, there is the Moyer Gould Woods.  It is managed/owned by the Niches Land Trust and is approximately 70 some acres.  As it was a beautiful Saturday... sunny, upper 60's and breezy, I pulled in and we went for a hike.

Probably one of the most outstanding trees is a huge white oak.  This picture does not do it justice.  The next trip will involve a real camera and not a cell phone camera!






We saw evidence of the old house.   An old sidewalk... Old concrete porch with the stubs of a long gone yew.  Some vinca groundcover was still apparent and I am curious as to whether any old perennials... bleeding hearts, etc. may appear next May.

The old carriage trail turns into a nice little trail down the side of a hill/bluff overlooking the Tippecanoe river.  Initially it looks as if it's old pasture that is returning to woods, but once you get past the old fence line you see some nice shagbark hickory, oak and I saw a couple of beech.  The path run along the river and then cuts back and forth up the side of the side of the hill with some moss covered conglomerate bedrock outcroppings.  At the top is a nice bench that the kids enjoyed.  

I believe next spring we will have to make a point of revisiting it.  The leaves were thick, but I could see evidence of wild ginger and hepaticas as well.  The site is also reported to have dutchmans breeches, blue phlox, jack in the pulpit, red trillium, hepatica, mayapples, and fire pink.






No comments:

Post a Comment