Hikers use these to mark trails. They are used as memorials, landmarks or places of meditation. Probably the meditation in some cases is, "How did they do THAT?".
Wikipedia goes into great detail regarding cairns and their backgrounds in a variety of countries.
For inspiration visit http://www.teamsandtastic.com/RockStacking/
![]() |
| Professional Rock Stacking and Balancing by Team Sandtastic |
Now if you are the ornery type and like to amaze some and frustrate others, check out this blog: http://rocksculptures.blogspot.com/2010/12/i-make-rock-sculptures.html
Personally, I love the idea of building rock cairns in public areas, just for fun! If it annoys some, then I suppose we can at least grin at the idea that we "rocked" their world!
While thinking of these rock cairns, I remembered driving through Illinois in December and seeing signs for Rockhome Gardens. As we were driving, I remembered pulling information up on my smartphone with several interesting pictures of rock sculptures. If your are interested in more ornate rock sculptures, you might like to visit their gardens, complete with an Amish restaurant. (The restaurant might help appease the spouse and family if you must bring them in tow!)

No comments:
Post a Comment