Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Suet is for the birds!

With winter and cold weather comes all the birds to the feeder.  I have been having fun watching all the wonderful birds in my yard the last few days.  My husband is especially fascinated by all the birds my home made suet seems to bring in.  Personally, I'm not overly fond of all the store brands of suet out there.  Like most of the seed mixes, they frequently are filled with seeds that the birds don't really prefer.  Therefore, I have started making my own.

I usually start with a block or two of plain suet.  (I get mine at Rural King.)  I melt/soften it in the microwave in a large plastic container.  Then I add a scoop or two of inexpensive peanut butter and then a cup or so of corn meal.  For the seeds, I like to find a patio mix bird seed that is basically sunflower hearts (shelled sunflowers) and some peanuts.  I avoid cracked corn as that seems to attract starlings/grackles, etc.  I've also been known to throw in raisins or other dried fruits.  Don't use anything that is salted either. 

After I've mixed the suet, I bring in my hanging log feeders and stuff the holes full.  Currently that has been a challenge as I have a pileated woodpecker showing up multiple times a day.  He can really eat!

Pileated Woodpecker

Northern Flicker
Hairy Woodpecker



No comments:

Post a Comment