I vowed that I would contribute, but the summer has come and went.... I have seen many fun things at our lake cottage... but I have not posted.... NOW I must!!!
Today, as we left the cottage, I looked over into the woods of the Boy Scout camp and about had heart failure! There on the forest floor, just kind of hanging out, was a HUGE EAGLE! It was only 15-20 feet off the side of the gravel lane and fiercely watched us as we gawked out our windows. I even rolled down my window and it didn't seem to bother it one bit. It finally walked/strutted and kind of hopped a short way, almost disdainfully, but didn't fly. We watched and watched and then we began to wonder if something was wrong. Maybe it couldn't fly! I cautiously and slowly got out of the truck and casually and slowly walked toward him.
Obviously, if he couldn't fly, we would have been calling the DNR. I know better and would never consider attempting to help a hurt and endangered animal. However, never fear, fly it did! It was magnificent to see such a huge bird lift into the air. It flew a short ways in the woods and then back up the road to land in a huge oak on the corner of our property.
Our neighbor was out with his mower and leaf vac and when that eagle flew right in front of him, it definitely got his attention. We walked back up the road and watched it in the tree. After awhile, it must have been tired of being stared and gaped at, he flew off above the trees and over the river.
We chatted a few minutes with the neighbor and as we were heading back to our truck, two bald eagles flew over. I don't know if one was the eagle we had been watching, but I'm guessing it was and this was it's mate. It made for quite the afternoon. I have never seen an eagle, out of captivity, that close. WOW!
Now for the irony. My cheap carry everywhere digital, at home. My expensive digital Canon, at home. My take everywhere smartphone, at home. No pictures! Can you believe it????
No comments:
Post a Comment